[Media-L] High school teacher has urgent inquiry

RKBlechman at aol.com RKBlechman at aol.com
Mon Jan 12 14:43:25 MST 2009

Hi Sue,

You might begin by using the term "Media Fluency" rather than "Media
Literacy."  The word "literacy" is text-biased and assumes that all other  media
besides print are variants of texts and all we need to do is learn how  properly
to "read" them.  In fact, non-text media, (audio, video,  film, computer and
oral performances) confront the student (and teacher)  with completely differing
epistemologies than text and should be approached with  differing assumptions
and differing tools for analysis.

For core Media Fluency principles, I would start with The Bias of
Communication by Harold Innis, Preface to Plato by Eric Havelock  and Orality and
Literacy: The Technologizing of the Word by Walter J.  Ong.  I would include The
Medium is the Massage by Marshall McLuhan and  Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil
Postman.

Good luck!

Regards,

Robert K. Blechman
St. George's University
631 561-1300

In a message dated 1/12/2009 4:11:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,