[Media-L] Montreal Media Education Conference

Bob McCannon mccannon at flash.net
Sat Apr 2 08:55:43 MDT 2011

Hi Bob,
Could you please send this invitation below to the media-l list ?
Thanks,
Jacques

Good morning Media Educators,

Québec is still the only jurisdiction in North America where
advertising to kids has been illegal for more than 30 years.

What are the benefits?
Why would society allow professional marketers to target children
using modern psychology and neurology?
Which advertisers were sued and preferred pleading guilty before
facing the judge?
Are there more damages for which marketing industries carry
responsibility for targeting children and teens?
What are the SOLUTIONS?

This unprecedented conference will allow participants to debate how we
can reduce the negative influence of marketers on our most vulnerable
fellow
citizens.

*INVITATION*

YWCA Montreal, Edupax and ACME (Action Coalition for Media Education)
are pleased to invite you to the 2nd Conference on the IMPACTS of
SCREEN OVEREXPOSURE on YOUNG PEOPLE'S HEALTH: the FACTS, the DAMAGES,
the SOLUTIONS in downtown Montréal, May 4, 5 and 6, 2011.

Thirty speakers from Québec, New Mexico, Louisiana, Michigan, New
York, California, British Columbia, Ontario, and France have agreed to
come and share with you their expertise about the damages caused to
children and teens by industries using screens to attract them,
entertain them, and promote unhealthy food and behaviours.

This Conference will host presenters in English for one day only, May
4, + presenters in French for two days, May 5 and 6. Registration for
one day is welcome.

Please find the program, the schedule for each day and info to
register at this address: http://screenoverdoseconf.edupax.org
Please check the program of our single day in English here:
http://jacbro13.com/colloques/c2-4maia.php

We look forward to meeting you at this unique conference and promoting
healthy media consumption habits
for the sake of our young fellow citizens, the well-being of our
entire society, and the protection of our environment.

Contact: Lilia Goldfarb, YWCA Montreal, Jacques Brodeur, Edupax,
819-379-2132, jbrodeur at edupax.org .